>>>>

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

For the Love of Yellow!

There is sill more to share – MUCH MORE!

I have to do this in batches ---it’s much too much overload for one post, and I don’t have the time to sit and edit everything at once.

What I’ve found is that with each and every one I see --- I rediscover a NEW favorite! Just when I thought I knew which one I liked best, revisiting the pictures makes me change my mind!

Okay, truth be told, I want to make them all! Or at least HAVE them.

You KNOW that I automatically drawn to anything chrome yellow or cheddar orange! Guess what my heart did when I saw this beauty sitting on top of the pile! Each and every star is colored differently! I love how unpredictable this quilt is!

oregon2012 150

OOOOOOOO!!!!

Why is it that the simplest of traditional patterns always make my heart sing?

I just love this! Do you see that the 4 corner blocks are all double pink with poison green? That’s the only “rhyme or reason” to this layout…everything else has the stars colored in as many different ways as possible!

oregon2012 151

LOVE THIS! Maybe there is a yellow star quilt in m future?

oregon2012 152

blacks and stripes and black on white with RED! Whoopee!

oregon2012 153

Sweet pink dots and poison green and a diagonal plaid in the corners.

oregon2012 154

More sweet plaid star points with a fun black/blue and a GREAT polka dot center!

Yellow is such a happy color. And I have to laugh at the “Quilt Police” who caution us about going overboard with “too much yellow” You CAN’T go overboard! Let it play, let it sing….bring that sunshine in!

oregon2012 155

Here’s a Crazy Anne in Browns and yellows! I love that one block part way up on the right that has the pink wing triangles! Perhaps someone ran out of polka dot! Or maybe she was a free spirit who simply wanted to play a bit differently! Whatever the reason, it is the simple substitution of fabrics that give this quilt life and interest.

oregon2012 173

Yellow paths on this Grandmother’s flower garden shine in the morning sunlight.

Ooooh! I want them ALL! But today is a busy day and I’ve got to get going. I’m packing the car for leaving for PA tomorrow. I have an MRI this afternoon. More book orders are ready to go ----and so we fill up this beautiful Wednesday as full as we can get it.

Have a great day everyone!

16 comments:

  1. I say "phooey" to those Quilt Police who urge restraint with yellow. I love to use a little bit (or more!) of yellow in just about every quilt I make. It's just a happy colour and lifts the spirits :-)) Those quilts are scrumptious, especially the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:23 AM EDT

    ohhh! thought i was in love with the yellow & stars quilt until i saw the crazy anne quilt! i have a yellow wedding ring thrift store find that i love! i have a yellow and blue bedroom, i have a yellow kitchen..........you just sing to my heart! ok, that last part is a bit mushy but you know what i mean.......you inspire me daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck w that MRI! Back issues can be such a pian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowwwww! I think my heart did the same thing yours did when you saw that gorgeous yellow star quilt! Lucky you to have seen it in all its glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the quilt police. We all know there is no justice in their commitment to order. Now that I've found disorder and randomicity (yes I think I made that word up just now) I am dancing in color and feeling the art that is quilting! Thank you Bonnie for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:11 AM EDT

    It's funny to hear all the different opinions about colour - at one workshop I attended, the instructor said that every quilt should have some yellow in it!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the selection of antique quilts that you posted above. I would love to have the time to make one of each design-maybe someday.Good luck with your MRI this afternoon and safe travels to PA. Your posts are always a highlight in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first formal quilt training was with the quilt police, I am still in recovery.
    I like to think that the new rule is, there are no rules & if you find one, go right out & break it!! See where it leads you.
    All quilts are valid!!
    Bonnie, good luck with your back. Know where you are coming from, I dislocated mine & sheared a few discs 24 years ago.
    I struggle every day but I have recently had some great success with pilates. It is nice to be able to reach my own feet again! LOL
    Lush
    London, UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these vintage beauties. This is why I quilt.
    I was expecting to read that one of these yellow lovelies came home with you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the yellow stars!!! Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't remember seeing that yellow quilt? I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are beautiful!! I love the yellow trail in the hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love the old quilts, with their quirks and "odd" use of color! But so many of today's quilters are so hard on themselves, trying to follow the "rules". I tell all my beginning students: "there's nothing wrong with your quilt that 100 years won't solve!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do hope your MRI identifies your problem. Pain is just so tiring - it really drags you down, though you seem to fight it better than anyone I know! Hope it goes away soon, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:13 AM EDT

    My grandmother had a red and white quilt top in a cedar chest my grandpa gave me after she died. I never knew what the name of the quilt was but now after I saw the pink n brown quilt you had on here for showing. So now that it has a name I guess I might put it together and quilt it. Glad I finally found the name.I had been wondering as it looked like the German sign to me and just want to quick to do anything with it. But maybe now I might take the time to finish it.Thanks as always for sharing Bonnie.You give us so much !!!!!! Debbie Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely quilts! The hexagon Flower Garden quilt has inspired me to make something similar - just love the colours. Would you mind if I link to this photo in my blog (mentioning the source of course)? Is it a quilt you have made or an antique?

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)