>>>>

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

How Many Quilts?

How Many Quilts?

May 9, 2004:

After having been asked how many quilts I've made, who I'm making this one
for, or that one for or why, and how many quilts do I think I need....

I came to the following conclusion:

I am a creator, an artist, just as much as a painter is...

Does anyone ask a painter who he is painting for or why he is painting yet
another landscape? how many pictures/portraits he has painted? How many
canvases or paintings he needs?

NO!

Does a painter stop wanting to paint because he has reached some number that
symbolizes the end of his need to paint?
"okay, that's #100, I'm done now..."

I create because I am driven to create. My medium just happens to be fabric
and thread, instead of oil or acrylics on canvas..but I create for the same
reason..to express myself, to share myself, to experiment...
Even if the quilt doesn't have a purpose, a recipient, a reason.
Quilting is my voice.

I Quilt, Therefore I Am! *Ü*

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:08 PM EST

    OMGosh..yes yes and yes. I totally get it. I have only been quilting for a short time (2 years). I started when my daughter became pregnant and I wanted to do something special for my 1st granchild. Well..that simply opened up the flood gates and a true quilting demon was created. I lay awake at nite thinking of the different patterns that I like and how to modify change or tweek. I am pretty much self taught, reading magazines watching shows..but still I love it. I hear folks tell me you are soo good...and also who is this one for. In my 2 years since I started I have made 58 quilts. some small baby quilts but most lap size...I am still a novice...but I so enjoy it. Working with the colors and the fabrics. Eachn one that I have made...I have given away. And I love that part too. your comments above are dated 2004 so you are waaay ahead of me since I only started in 2009. But alas I have been bitten by the quiltig bug...and I most definitely have the fever....love daily. lupe - Ima_quilter2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie
    I have a trunk show presentation that I do call "I Quilt, therefore I Belong". A cross section of my quilting 'career' and the amazing relationships that come my way through this wonderful world of quilts, quilters and the organizations that I have joined...bee groups, guilds and the Canadian Quilters' Association. Keep on doing what you are doing...I know I will.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)